Sunday, October 12, 2008

CORRECTIONS & EXPLANATIONS - October 12, 2008

Here are the correctiond and explanations for last week's entries.

Monday

I/ME/MYSELF

Correct the errors in the use of “I“, “me” and “myself“.

“Jim and me are going to look for jobs.”

“I” must be used in place of “me” because it is subjective.
“Jim and I are going to look for jobs.”


“Me and Joan are going to the pub tonight.”

“I” must be used in place of “me” because it is subjective. Also, the other person should be mentioned first.
“Joan and I are going to the pub tonight.”


“The punk shouted insults at my girlfriend and myself.”

“Me” must be used in place of “myself” because it is objective. “Myself” is a reflexive pronoun and can never be used in this context.
“The punk shouted insults at my girlfriend and me.”


“I am not particularly fond of rap music myself.”

“Myself” is a reflexive and cannot be used here. Besides, it is redundant.
“I am not particularly fond of rap music.”


“The ballplayer gave autographs to you and I”.

The objective pronoun “me” must be used here.
“The ballplayer gave autographs to you and me".


Tuesday

Find and correct all the mistakes. (Hint: I found eight.)

Headline: “One in four mammals face threat of extinction“.

A singular verb is needed for the singular subject “one”.
Headline, “One in four mammals faces threat of extinction”.


“The Earth is an increasingly bleak place for animals, according to a massive global study that concludes a quarter of the 5,487 wild mammal species on the planet are threatened with extinction.”

“A quarter” is a collective, singular noun and needs a singular verb.
“The Earth is an increasingly bleak place for animals, according to a massive global study that concludes a quarter of the 5,487 wild mammal species on the planet is threatened with extinction.”


“And one species - humans - are largely responsible for the crisis, according to the grim report released Monday at a World Conservation Congress in Spain.”

“Species” is singular and needs a singular verb.
“And one species - humans - is largely responsible for the crisis, according to the grim report released Monday at a World Conservation Congress in Spain.”


“The researchers conclude that not only are one in four mammal species threatened with extinction, but more than half of all animal populations are declining.”

“One” is singular and needs a singular verb.
“The researchers conclude that not only is one in four mammal species threatened with extinction, but more than half of all animal populations are declining.”


“While ‘depressing,’ the researchers say the findings should be empowering.

The comma after “depressing” should be outside the quotation mark.
“While ‘depressing’, the researchers say the findings should be empowering.”

“...noting that 79 percent of the monkeys and other primate species in the region are threatened with extinction.”

“79 percent” is a singular unit and requires a singular verb.
“...noting that 79 percent of the monkeys and other primate species in the region is threatened with extinction.”


“The scientists sum it up saying of the 4,651 species for which enough data is available, or 25 percent, are now threatened with extinction.”

“Data” is plural and requires a plural verb.
“The scientists sum it up saying of the 4,651 species for which enough data are available, or 25 percent, are now threatened with extinction.”


Wednesday

EMPATHY/SYMPATHY

Empathy” (n.) means to be appreciative, perceptive or understanding. It has come to mean identifying with another’s feelings.

Sympathy” (n.) means to feel sorry for or to pity another.


Thursday

CONNOTE/DENOTE

Connote” (v.) means to denote secondarily or to signify in addition to the primary meaning. It means an associated meaning beyond the primary one.
The noun form is “connotation”.

Denote” (v.) means to indicate or to be a mark or sign of something. It means to stand as a symbol for something.
The noun form is “denotation”.


Friday

SUMMARY/SUMMERY

Summary” (n.) means a recap, a synopsis, an outline or a summing up.

Summery” (adj.) is the warm, comfortable feeling of a summer day.


DUMB CLICHÉS - Football Section

Need I say anything?

“They have to take care of the football.”


A LITTLE CYNICISM

“Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.”
Albert Einstein uttered this observation.


LAST WEEK’S WORDS

Cerebral” (adj.) means intellectual, brainy, smart, clever or analytical.

Probity” (n.) refers to the qualities of goodness, decency, honesty or integrity.

Maven” (n.) refers to someone who is highly skilled or adept, a star, a virtuoso or a sensation.

Expeditious” (adj.) means speedy, quick, prompt or swift.

Inextricably” (adv.) means hopelessly intricate or involved or perplexing, unable to be undone or disentangled.

No comments: