Sunday, April 13, 2008

CORRECTIONS & EXPLANATIONS - April 13, 2008

Here are the corrections for last week's postings.

Monday

ATTAIN/OBTAIN

Attain” means reach, achieve or accomplish. Some effort is implied.

Obtain” means get or acquire. There is no implication of effort.


Tuesday

Correct the error in the sentence below.

"A pair of eagle-eyed cops have nabbed the alleged gunmen believed to be behind a recent robbery downtown."
“Pair” is the singular subject of the sentence and demands a singular verb.
"A pair of eagle-eyed cops has nabbed the alleged gunmen believed to be behind a recent robbery downtown."


Wednesday

TROUPE/TROOPS

Troupe” (n.) means a company, cast or band of performers. A “Trouper” is an actor.
“Troupe” is not used as a verb.

Troops” (n.) always means a group of people, often military. Two troops means two groups, not two individuals. A member of a troop is a “trooper“.
As a verb, the army “trooped” through the mud and often individuals troop, or march, together for security.


Thursday

Choose the correct verb in each of the following sentences.
The corrected version is the second entry of each.


1. We (did, done) some new work today.
We did some new work today.

2. The players (began, begun) the game today.
The players began the game today

3. We had (came, come) home early.
We had come home early.

4. I (did, done) my homework at school today.
I did my homework at school today.

5. He (doesn't, don’t) come here often.
He doesn't come here often.

6. (May, Can) I borrow your coat?
May I borrow your coat?

7. We (came, come) here last week for a picnic.
We came here last week for a picnic.

8. I have (began, begun) my lessons today.
I have begun my lessons today.

9. You (can, may) have my pen.
You may have my pen.

10. I always (bring, fetch) my lunch to work.
I always bring my lunch to work.


Friday

BLATANT/FLAGRANT

Blatant” (adj.) means highly objectionable and obvious, deliberate behaviour. It is always negative in connotation.
The adverbial form is “blatantly”.

Flagrant” (adj.) means glaring or obvious.
The adverbial form is “flagrantly”.
"Blatant" and "flagrant" are not interchangeable.


QUOTE

“A mind without instruction can no more bear fruit than can a field, however fertile, without cultivation.”
This was said by Cicero.


THIS WEEK’S WORDS

Apotheosis” (n.) means the ideal, one without equal or the model of perfection.

Perfidious” (adj.) means treacherous, deceitful or unscrupulous.

Impugn” (v.) means to attack as false or wrong, to censure, charge or accuse.

Surreptitious” (adj.) means sneaky, underhanded or furtive.

Diffidence” (n.) means self-doubt, reticence or a lack of self-confidence.

No comments: