Friday, April 16, 2010

FRIDAY FUN?

ACTUAL LANGUAGE USE

Correct the errors in the following. Be sure to explain what is wrong in each example.
Hint: there are six.

"I should of wrote that story yesterday so that I could of went to the ball game today."

"I was shocked when I seen what happened when I went in the room this morning."


PET PEEVE - THE/THEE

What does "thee" mean?
What part of speech is "thee"?
How is "thee" pronounced?


What does "the" mean?
What part of speech is "the"?
How is "the" pronounced?

"THE" and ""THEE" are NOT interchangeable.
So why do people pronounce "the" as "thee" when speaking?

Wake up! Ignorance is not bliss!


TODAY'S WORD

The word for today is "savant".
What part of speech is "savant"?
Define "savant" and use it in a sentence.

CORRECTIONS & EXPLANATIONS

Corrections and explanations for this week's entries will be posted Sunday.

2 comments:

Rimpy Rimpington said...

"I should HAVE WRITTEN that story yesterday so that I could HAVE GONE to the ball game today."

I was shocked when I SAW what HAD happened when I went in the room this morning."

"thee" is a formal/archaic form of "you", making it a personal pronoun. It is pronounced with a long "e" sound.

"the" is a definite article. The vowel is a schwa sound.

Savant is a noun which means being very smart about a limited range of subjects. "Dustin Hoffman's character in 'Rain Man' was an autistic-savant."

Rimpy Rimpington said...

P.S.: Congratulations on your inclusion in the list of 50 Best Blogs for Grammar Geeks.