Monday, July 13, 2009

I'M BACK!

OPINION

I had a good rest over the last two weeks and am ready to reboot my crusade for correct English use. So professional writers: beware! You are my favourites because you have a powerful, influential forum and you must never cease to be the vanguard of correctness. If you pander to sloppy and incorrect writing, I will use you as my teaching tool. Remember, as Marshall McLuhan said: "The medium is the message". If your medium is incorrect, what does that say about you and your message?


WHAT IS A SENTENCE?

Read the following entries and explain why each is, or is not, a sentence.

"Every gesture captured in close-up by coordinated stage cameras, the images sent to jumbo screens for mass viewing."

"No irony involved."

"A souvenir of Windsor."
Dalson Chen, "Kiss made city want to rock 'n' roll all night, The Windsor Star, Monday, July 13, 2009.


TODAY'S WORD

The word for today is "eviscerate".
Define "eviscerate" and use it in a sentence.
What part of speech is "eviscerate"?

No comments: