Friday, February 15, 2008

MORE THINKING REQUIRED

MAJORITY - SINGULAR or PLURAL?

The examples below are a question of usage and intent, not a suggestion of error.
What is your opinion?

"Majority of cops don't want OPP."
"A majority of the members of the Essex Police Association have vorted against joining the OPP..."
"The majority of people don't welcome change..."
Gary Rennie, "Majority of cops don't want OPP", The Windsor Star, Friday, February 15, 2008.


ADAGE

I like this one. I admit I didn't know the writer when I read it.
Do you know who penned this? I will give you bragging rights for a day if you are able to identify the author.


"To be conscious that you are ignorant is a great step to knowledge."


TODAY'S WORD

Today's word is "peripatetic".

Define "peripatetic" and use it in a sentence.


CORRECTIONS & EXPLANATIONS

Corrections and explanations for this week's entries will be posted on Sunday.

To those who think I need a comma in my line, "Purists, please relax," I have inserted one.

No comments: