Wednesday, November 21, 2007

PROFESSIONAL CORRECTNESS

POLICY

A comment came to me yesterday criticizing some poor grammar and spelling in the "Letters to the Editor" section of The Windsor Star. The criticism was correct, but I make it a policy of this blog to never select errors from non-professionals for criticism or correction.
I do not expect The Windsor Star to correct errors in letters that the public submits. That is not the job of the editors.
I try to limit my crusade for correct English usage to newspaper writers and editors and TV copy writers and newscasters who are paid to write or deliver newscasts and reports. They are the professionals and, as such, have an obligation to be absolutely correct.
In a spirit of fairness though, I think many "Letters to the Editor writers" could do a better job proofing their own submissions.
The result, I hope, is better English usage by all.



POOR CONSTRUCTION? POETIC LICENCE?

Is there any error below? What is it?
(If you cite my spelling of "licence", read my blog entry for November 7, 2007.)

"Brace yourself Windsor. Because the worst is yet to come."
Gord Henderson, "Worst yet to come", The Windsor Star, Thursday, November 22, 2007.


TODAY'S WORD

The word for today is "scurrilous".
Define "scurrilous" and use it in a sentence.

No comments: